5 essential Hormone functions to know before you regret
If you are the sufferer of a behavior problem, that might be from a hormone imbalance in your body. Hormone imbalance comes with a hundred of symptoms. Among them, the core symptoms are-fatigue, weight gain, too much sensitivity to cold or hot, dry skin, irregular heart rate, constipation, and so on.
Both women and men are the victims of a common hormone problem. But if you don’t find the exact reason behind it, you will face many difficulties in the future. There have some common hormones in your body that can often create problems in your usual way of life.
Moreover, you need to know well about the necessary hormones and their functions in your inner body system. Even to get rid of troubles that come from hormone imbalance, you should know about the hormone accurately.
Considering all these issues, here we have come with the 5 most crucial hormone functions. Now, you can solve any health complication with the help of proper specialists.
What is a hormone?
The hormone is the chemical messenger in your body that sends messages to various parts of your body. They mainly travel through your bloodstream and helps different organs to function correctly.
They build up communication between organs for physiological regulation and behavior activities. There are many glands in our body to produce several hormones. All carry out the different functions in our body. They regulate our growth, hunger, blood pressure, sugar level, sexual desire, reproduction system, physiology, and behavior.
5 essential hormone functions in the human body:
Growth hormone function:
This hormone comes from the pituitary gland. The growth hormone is also known as somatotropin hormone. Growth hormone is the most complicated process which locates at the base of your brain. So, it needs many other hormones to stimulate body growth. The core functions of this hormone are here:-
- It stimulates body growth, cell production, and cell regeneration.
- It also stimulates the liver to secrete another hormone named Insulin.
- Insulin returns the blood glucose level to normal.
- This hormone also helps children to grow faster.
- It also helps to increase muscle mass and decrease body fat.
- This hormone works to change food into energy that your body needs with other substances.
- Moreover, it controls your body’s metabolism too.
If you face any difficulty having too much and too little growth hormone, you need to look for a doctor.
Pituitary glands play an essential role in the human body. It produces multiple hormones from its tiny organ. It directs other glands to produce more hormones. All the hormones under pituitary gland and their functions are here:-
Prolactin: Help to stimulate breast milk production after giving birth child.
Adrenocorticotropin(ACTH): Maintain blood pressure and blood sugar level.
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone: Helps to regulate the metabolism, energy, and nervous system activity.
Luteinizing Hormone: Stimulate testosterone production in both men and women.
Follicle-stimulating Hormone: Promotes sperm production and develops eggs from ovary in women.
Ghrelin hormone function:
Ghrelin is a hormone that stimulates your hunger and appetite for foods. This hormone comes from the small intestine, pancreas, and brain. This hormone is also known as the ‘hunger hormone’ produced in the stomach. To keep you healthy, let’s know the main functions of this hormone.
- It prepares your body for food and regulates calorie intake in your body.
- Moreover, it helps you to digest more foods and become healthy.
- It also increases your appetite for food by 30% by entering into your body.
- It plays a role in the part of the brain named hypothalamus to trigger your appetite.
- Even, it affects gland function to trigger the stimulation.
If you want to lose weight, you can decrease the hormone’s amount to get a better result.
Thyroid hormone function:
Thyroid hormone comes from the Thyroid gland that locates in the front neck. It presents in both men and women. This hormone mainly controls a person’s metabolism. It produces two hormones as Triiodothyronine (T3) and Thyroxine (T4). They perform so many functions in your body.
- It affects almost all the cells in your body.
- controls the metabolic process of your body.
- It also plays a role in human growth and maturity.
- regulates your body weight and long bone growth.
- It also helps to regulate your internal temperature, skin, and hair and nail growth.
Irregularity of the Thyroid hormone level can give birth to many problems in your body.
Estrogen female hormone function:
This hormone lives in ovaries along with hormone progesterone. It is one of the most important hormones for women. The development of female sex organs, menstruation cycle, pregnancy, and menopause all depend on it.
Progesterone hormone occurs when a woman gets pregnant. It also comes from the ovary, the placenta, and regulates numerous functions. It helps your body to get ready for pregnancy and also assists in maintaining the monthly cycle. This hormone drops when you don’t get pregnant.
Even, all physical changes in women’s body are responsible for this hormone. If you have too much of this hormone, you can be affected by breast cancer, weight gain, irregular menstruation, uterine cancer, or depression. Too less of this hormone can lead to hair fall, acne problem, and all other female diseases.
- Estrogen maintains the health of women’s reproductive systems.
- Estrogen helps women to regulate menstruation circle. It also controls the growth of the uterine lining.
- also is related to childbearing and pregnancy.
- helps too to keep your cholesterol under control.
- It is also beneficial for bone health of both men and women.
A woman’s estrogen level changes throughout the month. During the period, it becomes low in level. Women who suffer from low Estrogen can be from their menopause or any surgical issues.
Testosterone male hormone function:
This hormone comes from the essential male sex organ named testes. It mainly controls the physical features of a male. Women have it too but in a smaller number. A male person turns from a boy into a man with specific physical changes only because of this hormone.
The key functions of this hormone including:-
- It helps to grow the penis and testes.
- It ensures the growth of the body, face, and pubic hair.
- This hormone also handles building muscle and healthy bone in men.
- Moreover, it changes the voice tone.
- It also helps to develop sperms for giving birth to a child.
- With the help of the brain and pituitary gland, this hormone works through the blood from the testes.
Testosterone level starts to change with ages. When a male turns into 35, it starts to become low in number. This hormone can be too high or too low. If your testosterone level is too high, that might be from some health issue. So, consider the specialist at the moment.
Too low Testosterone level results in several health problems: low sex drive, low sperm count, poor erections, decreased muscle and bone health, lower fertility, and many more.
To maintain an average Testosterone level, you have to maintain a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and a useful diet chart.
Overall, we can say, now, you know well all the essential information about hormone functions in the human body. Here, we have tried to present all those hormones and their functions that most people want to know. These hormones play a crucial role in the human body from head to toe. Now, you need not get worried before going to the doctor.
What is Hormone
- A chemical substance secreted by an endocrine gland
- It is mixed with the blood for transport to a local, distant target.
- Target cells have specific receptors
- Regulates cell reactions by affecting gene expression (often gene transcription factors)
Function of Hormone
- Controlling the metabolism
- Monitoring growth, development, and reproduction
- Name of endocrine glands
- Anterior pituitary gland
- Posterior pituitary gland
Several Types of Gland
- Thyroid gland
- Parathyroid gland
- Adrenal gland
- Testes and ovary
- Placenta during pregnancy
- Female reproductive system
- Layers of the uterus
- Perimetrium- an outer layer
- Myometrium –middle muscular layer
Endometrium- inner lining