Hazelnuts benefits: Health |Skin |Hair| In pregnancy |Male infertility| Side effects
Nuts and seeds are among the most nutrient-dense foods that we consume, and hazelnuts are not exceptional. Hazelnuts are extremely nutrient that is considered a superfood by individuals and are an excellent choice of a healthy diet providing many benefits.
This super snack contains so much nutrition, including vitamin E, healthy fat, protein, dietary fibre, and anti-oxidant compounds to support your health and curing various diseases. Besides, this nut also helps to make your hair and skin healthy and radiant.
Even those who have infertility can grab the benefits out of it. To know the multiple hazelnuts benefits with its super nutty flavor, let’s dive deep into the details.
What is a hazelnut?
Hazelnuts are tree nuts that come from the eastern half of North America. These nuts are about the size of a marble and are relatively small and easy to grow. They are rich in flavor, which is notable in different recipes. You can eat them raw, roasted, in a paste, or as cooking or beauty oil.
Nutritional value of hazelnuts
Hazelnuts are a nutritious food that are rich in essential vitamins and minerals. Some of the key nutritional value of hazelnuts includes:
- Fat: Hazelnuts are a good source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Vitamin E: Hazelnuts are one of the best dietary sources of vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage.
- Magnesium: Hazelnuts are a good source of magnesium, which is important for maintaining healthy bones and supporting normal nerve and muscle function.
- Fiber: Hazelnuts are also a good source of fiber, which can help promote feelings of fullness and maintain healthy digestion.
- Protein: Hazelnuts are a good source of plant-based protein, which can help support muscle growth and repair.
In addition to these key nutrients, hazelnuts also contain a variety of other vitamins and minerals, including iron, potassium, and B-complex vitamins.
9 health benefits of Hazelnuts
Fight against cancer and many diseases:
Hazelnut supports your health by fighting against a dangerous disease like cancer. This nut has anti-cancer properties with a high concentration of antioxidant compounds known as proanthocyanidins, vitamins, and minerals. Proanthocyanidins may help to treat some types of cancers and protecting against oxidative stress.
Moreover, vitamin E in Hazelnut also protects against cell damages that can cause or create cancer in your body. Manganese is another nutrient that helps to decrease oxidative damage and reduce the risk of cancer. One-ounce hazelnuts provide a whopping 87% of the RDI for manganese.
Not only that, but this nut also helpful in curing cervical, liver, breast, and colon cancer, according to a couple of test-tube studies.
Supportive to your heart problem:
The higher amount of antioxidants and healthy fat, known as mono-saturated fatty acid in hazelnuts, help lower bad cholesterol level in your blood, which causes heart disease and increases vitamin E levels in your body.
This nut also contains heart-healthy nutrients such as magnesium, potassium, and fiber. So make a habit of eating 29 to 69 grams of hazelnuts in a day to keep your heart healthy and normalize blood pressure levels in your body.
“A 2013 study found that a hazelnut-rich diet decreased participants’ levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. “
Health benefits of Hazelnuts-Reduce inflammation:
Studies have found that regular intake of hazelnut can reduce inflammation that can damage our cardiovascular system. Even the powerful antioxidant compounds in this nut also decrease inflammation and the risk of different diseases. Vitamin E is one of the powerful inflammation-fighting nutrients that you find in Hazelnuts.
Best weight loss snack to combat obesity:
Although they are high in calories, they can even help you with weight loss and management only if you consume them in a moderate number. According to many studies, tree nuts such as hazelnuts boost our metabolism and burn calories throughout the day and lose weight.
Besides, a good level of Thiamin in this super snack also promotes a healthy metabolism, converting our carbs into glucose, which allows it to be used up as energy.
Elsewhere, protein, the fiber in this food, helps keep you full and prevents you from overeating.
“Evidence also suggests that manganese may be able to reduce weight in obese or overweight individuals, presumably because of its ability to improve digestive enzymes.” By Jillian Levy, CHHC
Brain boosting powerhouse:
Hazelnut contains the following vitamins and minerals to boost your brain health too.
- Manganese plays a significant role in brain activity connected to cognitive function.
- Vitamin E coincides with less cognitive decline and prevents disease of the mind too.
- Thiamin, folate, and fatty acid also support keeping your brain sharp and work best.
Hazelnuts benefits hair:
If you are tensed about your hair problem, then hazelnut also provides benefits in this regard. Let’s have a look.
Hazelnut oil is famous for nourishing your hair along with the scalp. It also helps to maintain good hair growth containing fatty acid, protein, and vitamins.
Besides, hazelnut works best in curing dry and damaged hair. You need to use powder hazelnuts and 2 eggs. Beat them properly and apply them to your dry scalp and hair. Then, wash off after 20 minutes with warm water and shampoo.
Hazelnut benefits for skin:
Are you upset with wrinkles on your skin? Do you want to keep your skin hydrated all the time and free skin from sunlight damage by hazelnuts? Here are the best solutions for you in:-
- The Highest amount of anti-oxidants prevents the onset of fine lines and wrinkles on your face.
- Vitamin E with good fat in this nut always keeps your skin moisturized and hydrated.
- Act as a natural sunscreen to protect you from the harmful effects of harsh UV rays.
- Antioxidant shields your skin from cancer and regenerates skin cells, eliminating dead cells.
- Provide you younger and healthier skin.
- Great scrub for your acne problem.
How to use hazelnut for skin?
Not only through consuming, but you can also use hazelnut as oil for applying on your skin. You can also apply it as a face scrub. For this, you need to crush 1tspn roasted hazelnuts and mix it with half tsp coffee powder and half tsp sugar along with coconut or olive oil. This scrub helps treat acne problems.
Hazelnuts benefits for sperm:
Infertility is a common problem now in most of the family. In most cases, infertility comes from men because of having low sperm count and quality. Recent research shows that consuming more nuts, including hazelnuts, may increase sperm count and improve the sperms’ quality.
Hazelnut benefits in pregnancy:
If you are in early pregnancy, make a habit of consuming nuts, including hazelnuts, an average of 74 grams, or 2.6 ounces, of nuts a week. This nut will increase the chance of better IQ memory and concentration ability in your unborn child.
Furthermore, hazelnuts proved to be an excellent source of beneficial vitamins for your baby’s fetal development. What are the other benefits that hazelnuts do in pregnant women?
- Improve the quality of breast milk stimulating the lactation process.
- Vitamin E supports digestive functions.
- Antioxidant provides the future mom with excellent protection against infectious.
- This nut also promotes rapid psychological recovery with calcium and potassium.
- For developing muscle tone, this nut does an excellent job with vitamin-B.
- Zinc stimulates the sexual development of your future baby.
Hazelnuts side effects:
Despite having many benefits, this nut still has some limitations. So, before choosing it as your daily diet, you need to know something about this nut. The nut itself is hyper-allergenic. If you are allergic to this nut, you need to cut back with it. For ordinary people, consuming 50gram per day is enough. But as a pregnant woman, you should have it not over 35-40gm per day.
Hazelnuts also have a high degree of fat content. So, women with the last stage should not have it that can lead to extra pounds after childbirth. However, you also need to know that hazelnuts are high in calories. Every ounce (almost 28 grams) of this nut contains 178 calories.
As a whole, we can say, now you can avail of hazelnut benefits for your entire body and health, but if you want to get the full service of hazelnuts, you need to consider its side effects. So, please consult your doctor before using it.